Pulut panggang literally translate to English as "Grilled Glutinous Rice in Banana Leaves". This kuih is made with pulut rice, grated coconut, dried prawns, coriander and belacan. Delicious Malay kuih wrapped in banana leaves.
Ingredients for Pulut Panggang:
- 500 g pulut rice (soaked overnight)
- 1 grated coconut (for santan)
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil for brushing
- some banana leaves (dipped into boiling water; cut into 6 inch/15 cm. squares)
- 1/4 young grated coconut (use white flesh only)
- 2 tbsp dried prawns (soaked, drained & pounded)
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder (roasted)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 buah keras
- 8 small onions
- 2 red chillies (seeded)
- 1/2 in. (1cm.) cube belacan
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- Drain soaked pulut rice.
- Add 1 cup water to grated coconut for santan and squeeze out 1 1/2 cups santan.
- Mix drained pulut rice with santan and salt. Steam till cooked (do not allow it to become too soft).
- Dry-fry the young grated coconut over low heat till very lightly browned. Pound till fine.
- Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil over low heat and fry dried prawns till dry and fragrant. Dish out.
- Heat another tablespoon cooking oil. Mix coriander powder with pounded ingredients and fry till fragrant. Add fried dried prawns, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Place a tablespoonful of pulut rice on one edge of a banana leaf, spreading it along the leaf. Put some filling on it and cover with another tablespoonful of pulut rice.
- Roll up and secure ends with toothpicks. Repeat procedure till all ingredients are used up.
- Brush with oil and grill, for 20 mins. turning rolls periodically.
Printable Version - Pulut Panggang
Do you like this recipe?