230g rice flour
45g corn starch
840 ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pandan paste
A few drops yellow and red colouring
Note : For this kuih you can use any color or as many layers as you like.
For the syrup
280g castor sugar
3 pandan leaves
1. Mix the sugar, water and pandan leaves in a saucepan. Bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves completely. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together rice flour, cornstarch and salt. Add in coconut milk, mix well. Stir in syrup. Strain the batter to ensure it is free from lumps.
3. Divide batter into 3 equal portions. One add in the pandan paste (green), one in yellow coloring and one in red coloring. From each color portion divide into 3 equal portions (this will ensure you will get 9 layers of kueh)
4. Place a greased 8 inch tray in the steamer and heat up for 4–5 minutes.
5. Steam the batter layer by layer. Pour the 1st layer of batter on the heated tray. Cover and steam over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until set.
6. Follow by the next color and steam for 2-3 minutes and then the next layer.
7. Repeat the steps, alternating the color until all the batter is used up.
8. After the final layer is set, steam over the boiling water until the cake is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
9. Allow the cake to cool before cutting into squares to serve.
Do you like this recipe?